|High water bills?
There are several ways to find out if your water bills are higher than they need to be.
- Check faucets for dripping water. Fix a leaky faucet promptly. Be sure to check under sinks for moisture or leaks.
- Periodically check your toilets for leaks:
- Place a few drops of food coloring in the tank - not the bowl. A couple of tablespoons of instant coffee or Kool-Aid will work too.
- Check the toilet after about thirty minutes. If the water in the bowl has some of the color in it, the tank is leaking and the stopper and valve seat may need to be replaced.
- Check for underground leaks or undetected leaks in the home:
- Turn off the main water valve inside your home and then go outside and check your water meter. If it is still turning you may have an underground leak.
- Alternatively, write down the numbers on your water meter at the beginning of a period when your home is going to be unoccupied for a few hours. Check the meter when you return; if the numbers have changed, they may be a leak somewhere inside the home.